Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ike

The adventure started Wednesday when we were trying to decide if Ike was going to be a threat and if we should leave or not. We are a shelter in place county, but with a child you want to take every possible precaution you can. Angel was old enough to remember Alicia, and didn't want morgan to be scared. So we decided Thursday we would go to my dad's and then see where the storm was going to go. When we woke up Friday the storm had taken a slight turn and was no longer going for Matagorda bay, or Freeport. It was no going to San Louis Pass, or Galveston. I thought about going home, but decided to just stick with the plan. So we left to Alabama, and drove the 9 hours there.
Once there we were able to watch the news and see what was happening. I called Angel every hour to two hours to check on him and make sure he was still safe. We hung out in Alabama for 2 days, and drove home once we knew my parents had electricity.
We got into Lumberton late on Sunday, so Morgan and I stayed the night at my dad's house, and then drove home on Monday. It sure was nice to be back home.
At our home we have power, and sustained minimal damage to the house. We lost a pillar that stood on the front porch, and our mailbox. Both of which luckily didn't fly too far. Angel got the pillar and put it inside during the storm, and the mailbox he found after the storm in our yard. We lost a lot of branches and limbs, but nothing major and none of them hit the house.
The grocery stores are open here. Gas is very hard to find, but we both have gas in our vehicles so we aren't going out to get it. Last I heard I curfew was still in place, from 6am til 9pm.
Lots of people around here still don't have power. My mother in law being one. There is something like 1.5 million people in the Houston area with out power and that is just center point energy customers.
I have pics that I will upload later and just post a link...

No comments: